Sunday, July 12, 2009

Learnin' to Crawl: Episode II-The fall and Rise of Psyche

It has been unbearably hot up on the western slope and somehow this has actually translated into incredible amounts of rain always being coupled with said heat. I am find ing the process and of psyche and captivation with sectors, routes and crags to be so different than that of bouldering. For instance, I don't consider myself to be a selfish person beyond healthy standards but bouldering always an amazing amount of freedom in which to roam, grope, and infatuate one self with particular rocks but when route climbing especially solo you are trying to snag belays and visit or avoid entire sectors due to sun positioning. This is proving to be a lot to get used to and the solo nature of this leg of travel is just adding to the exhaustion in this learning curve.
So in the beginning of last week I had to bail in order to preserve some sanctity of mind and while doing this it had occurred to me that besides some bench time due to food-poisoning I had not taken a break in a little/long while so to explore the land of Glenwood Springs was the mission. I did some urban survivalism for a couple days and then wrangled an awesome house stay with a mate who is new to the area. I got ride my bike and explore a beautiful mountain town in the midst of all its summer music festivals and recharge the batteries and indulge in some indoor cooking accompanied with a refrigerator. The stress seemed to just subside.
It is funny that I seem to be learning a similar lesson again and again. When you are on the road with both the blessings and curses of such a life about every month of serious climbing warrants a break of about four days to truly regain the mind and body equilibrium that cam be distorted from health and happiness.
After this little break with no real idea of what comes next I was coaxed into returning Rifle, CO for some more sports climbing and was able to manage quick ascents of Movement of Fear 5.12c and Never Believe 5.12d and all with a smile on my face. So once again, 'lesson learned'.
AR

No comments: