Saturday, July 18, 2009

Learnin' to Crawl: Episode III: A series of mischievously pleasant events

Since we last spoke I have been trying to sort out some of the near future and logistics and such. As financing has become a bit of an issue I have been hunting down some opportunities. I really lucked out and have landed so interesting construction/set-up labor in which I build the booths and structures for the up coming Outdoor Retailer here in SLC where I am writing this.
But all of this has come together haphazardly in that I did not receive the call confirming the job until I could get in the town of Rifle and I was not going to waste the gas to drive to town just to check voice-mail. So on thursday I climbing for what I thought would be my last day for a while and tried a great route at the end of the day and grunted a bit but found my self at the end moves and fell just short of the anchors and the final dyno, taking the 45 footer that skipping the last bolt(not recommended) provides. I bit surprised by this progress in just two efforts I was jubilant at the experience but had to wait until the next time I was would return to Rifle. So I cooled down in the dark and drove down to Rifle(town) and got the call, and got the job BUT as it turns out the job was actually for one day later.
So there I was with another gift of a day to do some rock-climbing but I had made the point to so thoroughly thrash myself that now I was afraid of subpar performance but was just psyched to climbing anyways. Friday was blazing hot and the climb that I was interested in was a late PM climb, because of when the sun hits it. So I played the game of climb in the morning and much of the day on other things and try to muster up some juice for when it was about to get dark again. As 7pm rolled around I was gonna try the route and re-warmup up on it. That is exactly what happened and I was feeling pretty tired and as a result, apprehensive. So I chilled and belayed a hommie as he flashed Movement of Fear 5.12c and then it was my turn. I tried real hard and just decided to believe, commit and enjoy. I sent and with all the excitment I could handle both with the possible sports action last move dyno over the now (potential)55footer. Psyched and surprised it came together, I sent 'Poetic Justice 13a' and now my drive through the night to SLC was to begin, after some din din of course. The drive started at 11:30pm and ended at 5:54AM. It was a great session of reflection, excitement and interesting ideas. Now I type with very little sleep seperating myself from Friday's climbing and the labor of today. So Good Night and have a great one!!
AR

2 comments:

Joe Sambataro said...

Nice! Maybe I'll run into ya at OR. Cheers mate.

Unknown said...

WORD UP BREW. I will see you there.
AR